Thursday, July 13, 2017

Pepperoni Olive Calzones



Since I am Italian, one of the recipes that I make on a fairly regular basis is Calzones. I fill them with whatever I have on hand.... pepperoni, sliced turkey and sometimes just lots of veges.

In this recipe of calzones, I used pepperoni, chopped black olives, chopped red and green peppers.  It was so good!!



Here is the dough recipe:

1 pkg of dry yeast
1 cup water water
2 T olive oil
1 T. (or less) white granulated sugar
1 t. salt
A dash or two of Italian seasoning
About 3 cups flour (sometimes I need more just a touch more)

You want the dough to be soft but not sticky.

Once it has been well mixed, let it rest for 5-10 minutes.

This recipe will make 4 large or 8 hand-sized calzones. My son loves the hand-sized ones.

After the dough has rested for a while. Divide your dough into either 4 or 8 pieces.  Roll out each piece into a flat circle... on a well floured surface.



Add the veges and meat to one side of the circle.

Here is where I break the rules for calzones.... I add a spoonful or two of pasta sauce.... just enough to cover the meat and veges.

Sprinkle on your favorite Italian cheese.


Take the other side of the calzone and fold it over the meat, sauce, veges and cheese.  Pinch it closed.


Place the calzones onto a cookie sheet or baking stone.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.


Here is the calzones all baked till golden brown.  I cut it open so that you can see all the yummy goodness. This calzone is cheese- free for a lactose-free family member.

Before eating, pour warm pasta/  marinara sauce over each calzone. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese.


The wonderful thing about calzones is... if you make too many, just warm them back up in a warm oven for a snack or future meal.

Delizioso

This post is participating in:
Share Your Cup @ Jann Olson
Vintage Charm Party @ My Thrift Store Addiction
Grace at Home @ Imparting Grace
Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I am also Italian and love the cuisine. I eat calzone often, but I have never made one myself. Off to pin the recipe, as my mouth is watering now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I forgot about making these....something my son loves to eat! I like the combination you made yours with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm.
    Just a reminder for future parties, our party guidelines include vintage inspired decor and projects, but not food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I love calzones, but have never made them myself. Pinning. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete